Sunday, May 3, 2009

Cry, The Beloved Country: A Short Book Review

I studied English in college, so the phrase "you have to read this book" is one I've heard and used frequently (for the record, I think I said those exact words about N.T. Wright's Surprised By Hope on this blog, and I still stand by it). But rarely do I find that books that people recommend to me with such an expression live up to the hype, and furthermore, even when I use the phrase it's not clear exactly what I mean. Why must a person read any given book, besides the Bible of course?

Given all this skepticism, when Jason Hood said "you have to read "Cry, the Beloved Country," I ignored him for 2 and half years. But he was right. I had to read it, and so do you. And here's why:

First and foremost, it is an incredible novel in its own right, a work which held me literally on the verge of tears from start to finish as I read all 200+ pages in one marathon sitting. Second, it is a book that dramatically confronts the issues of race, community, separation, and reconciliation, issues which are imperative for the church to grapel with today. Set in apartheid S. Africa, the book follows the journey of an elderly pastor from the rural part of the country as he journeys to Johannesberg to try to rescue those members of his family who have been sucked into the city by a lack of economic opportunity outside of it. This helped me understand the relationship between the families we work with and the city of Nairobi in which we live. Third, it will help all of us understand the realities of the modern "city," with all of its beauty amidst ugliness and decay, all of its hope amidst despair and degradation. The story of one pastor struggling with the destruction of historical family life and morality in the midst of Johannesberg gives a window into the world in which the majority of the globe's poor currently live. Finally, you must read this book because it is a story that grapples with all of these issues from the perspective of the resurrection hope that only comes through the Risen Christ, because this book will reignite your hope in Christ's church, and because it will remind you powerfully of God's amazing grace. Books as diverse as Planet of Slums and To Live In Peace have radically shaped my understanding of the cities today and their place in the kingdom of God, but this novel has filled in the gap in a way that only a great work of art can do.

I know its not a new novel, and this is supposed to be a missionary blog. But I just read this book. And you've got read it.

Peace,
Michael

P.S.- Someone once said that the only real thing that changes from year to year are the people you meet and the books you read. Our blog has tried to introduce you to some of the people; check the new side bar addition to find out about some of the books.

No comments:

Post a Comment